Villages Fumbles The BCC's "Town Hall"?, Intro
There was nothing "wrong" with the Villages of the Darned "sponsored" Clackamas County Commissioner Town Hall, but then there was nothing "right"/useful/successful about it, either.
It was executed in a mundane way, mostly by the County Liaison who needed it to be "smoothly executed" to preserve her bureaucratic job and salary; "Useful" did not seem to be one of the bureaucratic objectives or needs.
The hour and eleven minute video is available so you can see for yourself, should you not have learned to "avoid time wasting meetings". The URL is:
In the following commentaries, I will look at the
"not so right":
- Failed to include the community groups as requested by the BCC
- Failed to get community to attend what could have been a interesting meeting
- Attempted to deceive or self-deceive by claiming the empty room had a "large crowd" when there were only cronies and supplicants present, along with a few politicals.
- Failed to drive, or even bring up real community issues and actively/intentionally avoided/suppressed the community issues to neuter themselves.
- The questions asked were less than useful to the community.
- The Darned folk, representing the community, should have asked the hard questions!
All in all, they seemed to fumble, big time and according to their bureaucratic overseer, the BCC was "thrilled" (that no real questions were allowed?).
I haven't seen such an incompetent waste of a tremendous opportunity to do "good", in a long, long time.
Shoot, the Darned folk and the BCC didn't even ask, hint at the real issues of:
- Community Center!
YOU - the BCC, are tearing down the old one, where's our new one?
- SLAPP law suit!
It appears that an ego centric contractor has filed, in federal court to avoid Oregon's Anti-SLAPP legislation, a SLAPP lawsuit against the Hoodland CPO people (and the county).What are you doing to reinvigorate community involvement?
and those other items that actually have impact on the community.
They weren't totally evil,
nor were they particularly virtuous,
but their incompetence, deceit, snake oil, and intimidation
made them the Villages of the Darned